Teenager jailed for her involvement in ‘vicious assault’

Teenager jailed for her involvement in ‘vicious assault’

10 July 2019

A TEENAGE girl from Downpatrick, who admitted her involvement in a “vicious assault” on Bangor pier in an incident which went viral on social media, was jailed last week.

Cora Campbell, of English Street, was one of two 19 year-olds sentenced to 32 months’ imprisonment at Newtownards Crown Court for attacking a teenage girl.

Campbell and William Boyd from Sunnyside Drive in West Belfast are to spend half of their sentence in custody and half on licence.

Their 17 year-old accomplice, who cannot be identified due to her age, is to complete 120 hours of community service.

Sentencing the trio on July 2 and lifting reporting restrictions on the media, judge Geoffrey Millar told them that when they attacked their teenage victim, they had “behaved like a pack of wild animals after their prey”.

They all pleaded guilty to causing their victim actual bodily harm in the attack in Bangor pier on April 20 last year.

Prosecuting counsel Laura Ievers outlined how the trio had been drinking with a group of around 15 people when their victim arrived at the pier.

The victim said that “everything was fine” and they were having a good time until she was approached by Campbell who punched her and grabbed her by the hair.

Mrs Ievers said Campbell told her victim “do you still want my boyfriend now?” and “why did you kiss him?”

She added that during the video recording of the attack, Boyd was heard shouting “break her nose” more than once and was filmed pouring beer and vodka into the victim’s eyes and throat.

Describing how the victim was punched 30 times, the lawyer said the girl feared she was going to be “drowned in the sea”.

Campbell said she did not think “it was that bad,” until she saw the video footage of the incident.

As well as the custodial sentences, Judge Millar also imposed a three-year restraining order on Campbell and Boyd while the 17-year-old was told to “write a letter of reflection” to her victim.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Hughes said: “This was clearly a traumatic ordeal for the victim and I hope it gives them some measure of comfort that the perpetrator has been found guilty.”