Malicious fires in the Mournes must cease

Malicious fires in the Mournes must cease

2 April 2025

SENIOR emergency service personnel and a leading government agency have called for an end to malicious fires in the Mournes.

There have been five gorse fires over the past few weeks with the latest on Monday night reported at the Kilkeel Road, near Hilltown.

Last Wednesday evening, 62 firefighters tackled a gorse fire started deliberately on Slieve Binnian which covered an area of 500 metres. 

It’s believed the fire was started at three different points.

The Fire and Rescue Service deployed six appliances from Newcastle, Kilkeel, Rathfriland and Downpatrick, including specialist vehicles from Newcastle, Ballycastle, Coleraine and Armagh and a Command Support Unit from Lisburn to the incident.

The blaze was finally put out minutes before midnight, with firefighters using knapsack sprayers and beaters to extinguish the fire.

In the wake of the malicious fires and the current dry spell forecast to continue for the rest of this week, the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), Fire and Rescue Service and police have asked people for their help and not start fires in the Mournes where the underfoot conditions remain tinder dry.

And farmers and land managers are advised to take all necessary precautions to ensure that any prescribed burning within the remaining burn period — which ends on April 14 — does not turn into a wildfire incident. 

They are advised that when considering prescribed burning, it must be done in a controlled manner and under careful supervision.

Meanwhile, police have warned they will follow up all possible lines of inquiry and prosecute those deliberately starting fires, with visitors to rural areas and residents advised to be vigilant at all times.

DAERA Minister Andrew Muir said he was “extremely concerned” by the recent spate of wildfires across Northern Ireland which is having a devastating impact on the environment and wildlife.

He urged those who have been lighting what he described as “malicious and deliberate wildfires” to stop immediately. 

“No one should start a fire in the countryside unless it’s part of a specific planned and properly managed land management practice,” he said.

“People lighting these fires may be putting their own and others’ lives at risk including the fire service personnel and other emergency services tasked to deal with them.”

Mr Muir has also thanked the emergency services for their preparedness and rapid response which has helped reduce the scale of the damaged caused.

Fire and Rescue Service area commander Ryan Thompson has appealed to the public to support firefighters by not starting fires in the countryside. 

“Not only are these incidents challenging and exhausting for our firefighters, they are also extremely resource intensive,” he said.

“I want to reassure the public that contingency plans are in place and we will continue to respond should you need us in an emergency. Please remember to act safely, be responsible and be vigilant.”

Fire chiefs say the deliberate setting of wildfires is a criminal offence and if anyone sees others setting a fire you should call police immediately.

PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Ryan Henderson said gorse fires had the potential to cause widespread damage to the environment and harm to wildlife as well as threatening homes, farms and the people living in those areas.

He added: “In terms of investigating, we follow all lines of enquiry in relation to deliberate gorse fires and ask anyone with any information about any criminal action to contact police on 101.”

South Down MLA Diane Forsythe said she was devastated to see so much of Slieve Binnian in flames last week.

“Here we are again looking at our beautiful mountains in shock and despair as a dangerous fire spreads,” she said.

Ms Forsythe has also asked for increased police patrols in the Mournes area as “careless behaviour in the countryside starts these fires.”

In the wake of the blazes, the Fire and Rescue Service said people should avoid using open fires, extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly and not throw cigarette ends on the ground or out of car windows.

In addition, it says barbecues should only be lit in a suitable and safe area and never left unattended. People are also reminded to make sure barbecues are fully extinguished and cold before disposing of their contents.

Visitors to the countryside are also asked to be considerate where they park and leave a clear route for emergency services vehicles.