Ardglass secure double

Ardglass secure double

9 August 2017

ARDGLASS completed the second leg of a county treble at Ardtole on Friday night when they added the ACFL Division 4 title to the Donard Cup won earlier in the season.

However, any thoughts that this was a dress rehearsal for the upcoming JFC first round showdown between these deadly rivals should be dispelled.

Both sides were far fromfull strength for this encounter and the championship clash in two weeks’ time is expected to produce an even bigger box of fireworks.

Bright fielded an experimental side that seemed to be just cannon fodder for the champions-elect, but nothing could have been further from reality.

Paddy Mageean gave Ardglass something to think about when he opened the scoring in the third minute with an excellent score from play. This was quickly negated by a free from the impressive Lee McEvoy before Matthew Burns pointed Bright back into the lead in the seventh minute.

Unanswered points over the next seven minutes from Davy Armstrong, Neil Teggart and Jordan Curran edged Ardglass into a 0-4 to 0-2 lead, but similar scores from Declan and Burns left the sides all square by the 18th minute and absolutely nothing in it.

The game then took an unexpected turn when a shot from the prolific Conor Kearney dipped viciously over 'keeper Christopher Tumelty and ended up in the net. Lee McEvoy followed this up with an effortless score from play as Ardglass took a 1-5 to 0-4 lead by the 20th minute.

A four point lead quickly became six when Jordan Curran lofted over two scores in quick succession. Conor Kelly, who had an outstanding game at left half back for Bright, reduced the leeway when he joined in a counterattack and took his score well from out on the right.

Ardglass had the last say of the half when Teggart pointed from play to send the home side in with a 1-8 to 0-5 lead at the break.

The promising Conor Burke from Bright and Daniel Fleming swapped scores at the start of the second half before Declan Burns reduced Ardglass' lead to five points in the 36th minute. Bright were then dealt a cruel blow when resilient full back Barry Mageean was black carded and replaced by Paddy Mageean.

Ardglass took full advantage and Lee McEvoy pointed his side into a 1-10 to 0-7 lead. Bright, who were far from out of it, kept in touch with an excellent score from Eamon McKinney, but Conor Kearney cancelled this out with another point for Ardglass.

With 42 minutes gone Matthew Burns converted a free for Bright to leave five points in it, but a stunning goal from Jordan Curran, after unselfish play from the roaming McEvoy, gave the home side a 2-11 to 0-9 lead.

Bright fought tooth and nail to get back in contention and a Kelly free gave them renewed hope, but with 52 minutes gone live wire Kearney pointed Ardglass into a 2-12 to 0-10 lead.

Seamas Tumelty and Kearney exchanged scores before McKinney left seven points in it with another good score from play.

Just when it looked as if Bright were preparing for a final push, they were hit with a killer blow when another speculative shot from Kearney ended up in the net to give Ardglass a 3-13 to 0-12 lead with three minutes remaining.

Fair play to Bright as they were still able to pick themselves off the floor and take the last two scores trough Rian Tempany and Declan Burns.

Ardglass: M Armstrong, M Crangle, S P Halpin, D Kearney, A Finnegan, E McEvoy, D Fleming (0-1), S Rooney, C Armstrong, D Armstrong (0-1), C Kearney (2-3), L McEvoy (0-3), A Mulhall, N Teggart (0-2), J Curran (1-3). Subs: Colm Smyth for Mulhall, Terry Kearney for C Kearney, M Cahir for Teggart.

Bright: C Tumelty, J Farrand, B Mageean, M Burke, O Tumelty, S Tumelty (0-1), C Kelly (0-2), N O'Connor, R Tempany (0-1), C McLaughlin, M Burns (0-3), P Mageean (0-1), D Quinn, E McKinney (0-2), D Burns (0-3). Subs: Jay Gibney for O Tumelty, Conor Burke (0-1) for Paddy Mageean, Paddy Mageean for Barry Mageean (black card).

Ardglass 3-13

Bright 0-14