Condemnation after van arson in Castlewellan

Condemnation after van arson in Castlewellan

9 May 2018

AN arson attack on a van at the Lower Square area in Castlewellan last week has been condemned.

The vehicle was targeted around 11pm last Thursday and was completely destroyed, with those responsible for the incident condemned by Slieve Croob councillor, Róisín Howell. She said she was “shocked” at what happened.

“I think it is absolutely disgraceful that such an event has taken place in our town,” the councillor declared. “Those who have carried out this attack have not thought of the danger they put local residents in. It was very fortunate someone was passing by and spotted the the van ablaze and reported the issue to the Fire and Rescue Service.”

Cllr Howell revealed some buildings close to the van were damaged from the intense heat of the blaze, with the quick actions of firemen ensuring it did not get an opportunity to spread. She said the firemen saved residents’ lives.

“The Lower Square area was left in a mess and I have asked Newry, Mourne and Down Council to ensure it is thoroughly cleaned,” she added.

Police investigating the arson attack have issued an appeal for information and are keen to hear from anyone who may have spotted any suspicious activity in the Lower Square area late last Thursday evening to contact them.

Anyone who believes they can assist officers with their enquiries is asked to contact police in Downpatrick on the non-emergency 101 number, quoting reference 1458 03/05/18. 

Information can also be provided anonymously using the confidential Crimestoppers number 0800 555 111.